Published On 13 Jul, 2021
Tooth extraction in Dubai is a straightforward dental procedure that usually takes only a couple of minutes if it is not a wisdom tooth removal. The procedure is a completely painless one as well. Thanks to the local anaesthetic support, you will just hear some unusual noises from the inside your mouth.
Tooth extraction is recommended only when your dentist is left with no other option but to remove your tooth for the greater good. The reasons why they do this are:
Generally, dentists perform tooth extraction after preparing you well in advance. They will give you detailed instructions which you need to follow post-extraction. Stick to these directions can not only help in faster recovery but also prevent dry socket and other infections.
Here is a summing up of the ‘dos and don’ts’:
1. Cold compress: As instructed, you should apply an ice pack for 3-4 times a day to ease pain and swelling. Cold compress is done on the day of the extraction.
2. Gentle rinsing: Swish around your mouth with salted warm water gently after 24 hrs. This helps clean the extraction area.
3. Taking rest: Taking adequate rest in the first 24 hours can expedite healing. If you are choosing to sleep, keep your head upright and raised with an extra pillow.
4. Healthy diet: A well-balanced diet is always crucial for speedy healing. Since chewing is restricted, choose soft foods for the first 7-10 days. Also, keep your body hydrated by drinking a lot of water.
5. Medicine: Complete the full course of your medicine as prescribed.
1. Hard rinsing: Hard rinsing can dislodge the blood clot formed and lead to dry socket.
2. Poking: Never run your tongue or finger on the extraction site to check the healing process; it can knock away the clot causing bleeding.
3. Alcohol and hard, hot and sticky food: Never give in to your cravings. These can lead to postoperative bleeding and slow down the healing process.
4. Tobacco: Nicotine can interfere with your body’s natural ability to heal. So, avoid smoking or chewing tobacco products for a week or two.
In most cases, tooth extraction is followed by a dental implant, except for wisdom tooth, so as to combat bone loss and further dental problems. But, whether or not you are planning to get an implant, tooth extraction requires serious aftercare to ensure speedy healing.
If you are having discomfort with your tooth and looking to have it removed, visit us for safe tooth extraction in Dubai.